Friday, January 4, 2008

Week 4, Thing #8, RSS

My old RSS feed was a fellow named Erik who sat in the co-pilot's seat of my library and routinely flopped around on the Internet occasionally turning his monitor toward me and saying, "you gotta read this!" Hence my regular blog reading paralleled his interests, more than my own. Yes, I like bikes, but he was a true bike snob. I like dogs, but he would spend hours ogling photos, saying "Wook at da cute widdle puppy." But he has moved on. Just a few days ago, he moved to Santa Cruz to further his education.

The most intimidating thing about this assignment was selecting my own interests without my sidekick. So, no bikesnob, no dogblog. Education. Libraries. Some humor and random stuff. I used Google Reader, which works fine for me. But I notice that I can't just publicly share my RSS feeds. I can only share particular items. So, I starred a bunch of items to be shared. But I wonder if bloglines is more fluid in its sharing abilities. I will go play with that. Until my kids demand my attention. For now, here is the link to my public Google Reader.

2 comments:

bibliofan said...

Sharing...interesting thought. To me, RSS Feeds are just an easy way of keeping up with my personal interests, and student/teacher wiki work. I guess the ability to share would allow people whose interests were similar to mine to check what I read...Still, I'm pretty mundane. I do love your word of the day feature.

Becca said...

I asked a friend where she kept her bloglines/googlereader and she said in her toolbar! When I first set up a google reader, I found that I never checked it because it was one more site to go visit. I work on too many different computers to have the toolbar approach work, that's why I stuck mine on my blog though, as you pointed out, it doesn't work for others to see what I'm seeing. But, I think you can add the "seeing" part under links. I don't necessarily WANT everyone to be checking on my son's blog, for example!

Erik as an RSS feed, yep, I can totally picture it.