Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Week 3, Thing #7 I'm Back!

It is nice to see that my blog has been sitting here patiently waiting for me all these long months that I have been neglecting it. So, that is my thing that I like about technology. It can actually be patient. But that is also one of its downsides. I wonder how many blogs sit around gathering dust, started with the best of intentions, maintained daily for awhile, then every few days, then just petering out. By the time the writer tries to revive it, the audience has lost interest. Look! Over there! A new blog, all new and shiny, whose author is still excited and the posts are still fresh.

For awhile I was reading a dogblog regularly. It was fresh. It was funny. Then the poster stopped posting. I stopped checking back daily, then weekly. Months went by. Then, for old time's sake, I typed in the URL. There was something new. But the humor felt old, worn-out. The dogs all looked the same. I had moved on. To a bikesnobblog.

Another thing I love about technology is craigslist. It is my resource for all things old and out-dated. I'll take some digital photos of my antique typewriter and bicycle found on craigslist and add them to the post once I am back at work.

I also love that I got an e-mail from a physicist in Romania who had a question about a statue I had taken a picture of and posted on my flickr site. And a travel site, schmap.com, asked to use one of my flickr pics as well. It is included in this widget.


Side Note: In order to edit this post, I had to spend quite some time realizing that my widget was not working, figuring out why I was unable to edit my post, and then downloading a new version of Internet Explorer (not my favorite browser!) in order to edit my post. Ah, technology! For every new wonder, we wonder where all our time goes.

I am off to post a comment on someone else's blog now.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Welcome back! And, I don't think you were neglecting your blog, it clearly was not the right vehicle for the time. I hope that your return will be more rewarding.

There are tons of blogs and wikis that are so dust-laden it is embarrassing to count them as part of the 2.0 world. I myself am the not-so-proud author of one (or two) myself. However, I think that comes in part with the newness of the territory. I am glad to have had the 23 Thing blog (Becca's path) to chronicle my attempts at all the assignments. I have made more use of the Caminante blog that I originally intended for communal use, but now it is serving as a means by which to keep track of some items that apply especially to the science collaboration, or to our imminent podcast collaboration. And I am planning on setting up a private blog as an ongoing one-sided dialogue with my son who is heading off to college. So, I think being clear about the purpose of the blog (or wiki) is what keeps it dust-free.

I am pleased as punch to hear that internet/copyright courtesy is flourishing, in reference to your Romanian physicist and schmap.com. I am also pleased that you are receiving international acclaim as a photographer!

IrmaPince said...

Glad to have you back! It is one of the benefits of this tutorial - no deadlines!
You will learn how to set up a blogline (or other RSS feed) so that you don't have to go to each of your favorite blogs to see if they have been updated - they'll come to you. Much easier!

bibliofan said...

Glad you are back, your travel photos are fantastic. I envy your ability, your eye for detail. I am the worlds worst photographer!

As for blogging, sometimes we have something to say and other times the correct thing is to be mute, wait and be thoughtful. Too often people are blogging with nothing to say, and it turns into a whine festival.
Good news about your sons!