Friday, March 7, 2008

Week 5, Thing #11: Web 2.0 Award Winners

Wow! There went a couple of hours. StumbleUpon seems to be a random sampling of stuff that other people found interesting. And, if in not too discriminating a mood, you'll find it interesting too. It is not unlike wandering into a library and picking up books off the shelving carts. Random but fun and sometimes informative. I found myself reading "Calvin and Hobbes" comic strips. I also learned that there might be a habitable planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. Maybe Spaceman Spiff can go there. And then I saw a photo of a solar eclipse from space. Whoooaaa! What a fun time vacuum.

I looked at a few other sites, too. Some widget sites, some mobile technology, but several required setting up an account which was just one too many steps for me.

Ning looks like a nice forum for a virtual book club. Hmmm.... Is there a benefit to virtual over face-to-face? I will need to ponder that one.

And my score on the Travel IQ was 93... below average? I need to brush up on my African geography.

2 comments:

bibliofan said...

The problem I have with Ning is the advertising. Plus many school districts block it, due to the adult content of many of the communities.

Love your Spaceman Spiff icon.

Becca said...

Your post reminds me of that Tolkein quote "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost".

I like book reviews fine online, but I like my book clubs in person, personally.